Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Step up transformer recommendation

  1. #1
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As an altec lover, I want to add a step up transformer to match mc cart to operate with mm phono stage. Would you give me some recommendations of what altec transformers I should use? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Timp
    Phono preamps have built in RIAA equalization that boosts the lows and rolls off the highs.
    If you connect a mic to a phono input it will sound muddy and muffled . If you can change the preamp circuit to a flat freq resp... then you could use it.
    Don

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are a few factors to consider when picking a transformer, cartridge output impedance, output level and phono preamp gain. Input transformers can work well in certain situations but not all of them. If you are looking for something with Altec heritage that is flexible enough to use in many different situations, try Cinemag transformers. The owner designed transformers for Altec back in the day and his MC step ups are supposed to be really good.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member edfallon's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by timp:
    As an altec lover, I want to add a step up transformer to match mc cart to operate with mm phono stage. Would you give me some recommendations of what altec transformers I should use? Thank you.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you'd like to keep it Altec you're in luck. An Altec 4722 mic step up xfmr works as one of the finest MC phono SUT's you can buy. The Cinemag is good too and very inexpensive but not quite as good as the 4722.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Uhmmm...(bites tounge, bangs head...)

    never mind...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Timp
    I misread your post.
    The phono inputs for Moving Magnet carts are 47k Ohms to match the fixed coils. A Moving Coil is much lower output and requires a set of transformers.
    Check with the cartridge manufacturer for a suitable step up transformer to match the MC to an RIAA 47k phono preamp.
    Don

  7. #7
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    transformers will introduce distortion from the hysteresis cross over I'd put an op amp in there to get the gain also resulting in reducing the mechanical load [wear] at the record.

    if you are looking for all tube perhaps a cathode driven grounded grid circuit for loZ input.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    An Altec 15095 is a popular step up transformer for MC's. They have an octal base and a 150 ohm input impedance which works well with a variety of carts.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi guys

    Thanks for the reply. I took a biggest challenge in my short DIY career to build my own linestage and phono stage since I last reported my hum problems. They are far from over. With my busy work schedule, the projects have been slow coming. The phonostage is all tube design (1 12ax7+ 1 6dj8) mm stage. And I thought adding another mc stage would be away over my head. Thus, I decided to go with a transformer. So, I posted this to welcome your wise counsel.

    Uhmmm...(bites tounge, bangs head...)

    Well, I have been biting my own tongues, too, for it's been painful burning my fingers with soldier and cutting my hands. It's a total frustration yet fun! forums I know I will be baning my head many times over in frustration. forums

    Looking for a transformer began!

    Thanks everyone.

    Tim

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am no electronic wiz and don't know an answer here.
    I do know there is a guy on ebay, think he is captain Bob or something and he makes and sells some very nice looking step ups with Altec plug in transformers. The ones he makes with the 4722 trannies go for some pretty steep bucks.

    I bought a Luxman PD 121 turn table a while back with a denon MC cartridges. The guy threw in a denon step up AU 320 that has dual in and outputs for two TTs. It seems to work just fine and I don't notice any hum when I use that turn table and step up. If I try to use that TT without the step up I would need the volume cranked way past my comfort zone.

    Another option you might consider is buying a pre amp that already has MC cartridge inputs. I've had a couple from both Luxman and one from Yamaha, I think a CX 1000 and no external step up was needed.

    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.